breaking news

BREAKING NEWS

today is Dec 05, 2021

In the round-up: Le Mans 24 Hours winner, ex-Formula 1 racer and drivers’ steward Emanuele Pirro says he felt hurt by the furious reaction to a 2019 penalty decision which cost Sebastian Vettel victory in the Canadian Grand Prix.

In brief

Pirro: Reception to Vettel penalty “changed my life”

Emanuele Pirro said the reaction on social media to the stewards’ decision to penalise Vettel, which handed victory to Lewis Hamilton, was “very much unpleasant.”

“In a way it changed my life and also my perception,” Pirro told the official F1 website. “Now my relationship with social media is definitely different. I see, and it hurts me more when I see people complaining.

“Human beings, I think social media enhances the one characteristic that we all more or less have, which is complaining and frustration. I think social media gives the tool to many people to express their frustration. Unfortunately, not with the knowledge required to analyse a certain thing. And so that was really unpleasant.”

Pirro said his frustration, more than with fan complaints, was with the lack of understanding about why the decision had to be taken. “But more than than all the insults that I had, it was because that was a straightforward situation. Just people did not understand.

My F1 Cars: Pirro on his behind-the-scenes work in Senna’s dominant McLarens

“At the end of the day, the whole motorsport of Formula 1 lost something because the majority of the world had a bad perception. We made justice to one racing episode [but] this was hurting the whole Formula 1 because it was perceived in an incorrect way. So this hurt me because I love the sport so much.

“I thought, for god’s sake, why don’t they understand that the one who has to win has to win and not the one you want to win? I think the whole world wanted Sebastian Vettel to win because because he was going through a tough time because it would have been one-off, it was just a wonderful story.

Pirro insisted the decision was fair and therefore the one which had to be taken. “If you score and it’s offside, it’s got to be offside. Somebody has to take this decision to make the sport fair here.”

Grosjean and Johnson pass shortened Indianapolis rookie tests

Grosjean will compete in next year’s Indianapolis 500

Romain Grosjean and Jimmie Johnson passed their rookie orientation tests at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, required in order for them to take part in next year’s Indy 500, despite rain curtailing their running at the oval.

The pair completed the first two phases of the test, run over 10 laps each at average speeds of 205-210 and 210-215mph respectively, and were halfway through the third, run at over 215mph (346kph) when it began to rain.

Grosjean and his wife Marion have written a book about the IndyCar driver’s brush with death in his final Formula 1 race in Bahrain last year. “La Mort En Face” is being published in French by City Editions, which is also seeking a US-based publisher for a potential English translation.

Hauger completes two-day F3 tyre test

Newly-crowned Formula 3 champion Dennis Hauger ran a two-day test of new Pirelli compounds for the junior series’ next season.

Hauger covered 123 laps over Monday and Tuesday at the Circuit de Catalunya. F3 will continue to use the same chassis for next season andthe series’ organisers are looking to give teams a “new challenge” with tyres that put more demands on the driver.

Ben Sulayem announces election manifesto

Mohammed Ben Sulayem, rival candidate to Graham Stoker for the presidency of the FIA, has announced his manifesto. Along with his leadership team of Carmelo Sanz de Barros, Tim Shearman and Robert Reid, Suleyman is standing with the support of regional Sport Vice-Presidential candidates Daniel Coen, Fabiana Ecclestone (wife of former F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone) and Lung-Nien Lee.

Set out under the title ‘This Is Your Manifesto’ the key points include doubling global participation in motorsport, the FIA taking a leading role in sustainable mobility and improving diversity and inclusion. The manifesto includes a promise to develop young talent within motorsport and to recognise that “diversity is at the core for the development of motorsport worldwide.”

Ferrari F1 engineering candidates named for 2021

Ferrari’s annual motorsport engineering programme has named its 2021-2022 candidates, with two women and three men chosen from 497 applications.

Irene Vittori Antisari, Nuria Catells, Craig Davidson, Edoardo Barbieri and Oliviero Agnelli will join the Scuderia for a year, as part of a six-month programme. Ferrari says 40 previous Engineering Academy candidates have gone on to work for the team.

Links

Motor racing links of interest:

Is F1 gaining ground? (Sports Business Journal)

"Other U.S. cities or venues that F1 is in talks with include Indianapolis Motor Speedway, which hosted an F1 race from 2000 to 2007, as well as a more private effort with Las Vegas to hold a race on The Strip, according to sources."

David Beckham ‘very keen’ to be involved in debut Miami GP and will be cheering on pal Lewis Hamilton (The Sun)

"Managing partner of the Miami GP Tom Garfunkel explained: 'It's kind of a funny story - David and I have a mutual friend who called and said David wants to meet you and wants to get involved in the Formula 1 race. So we had dinner last week. David is very keen to come out to the event. He's very excited about coming to Miami for the F1 race.'"

We always endeavour to credit original sources. If you have a tip for a link relating to single-seater motorsport to feature in the next RaceFans round-up please send it in via the contact form.