breaking news

BREAKING NEWS

today is Aug 09, 2022

In the round-up: The Victorian State Government has given assurances the Australian Grand Prix will take place as planned on April 10th this year following its cancellations in 2020 and 2021.

In brief

Victorian government commit to April Melbourne race date

The Australian Grand Prix will not be postponed to a later date after a commitment by the Victorian state government to hold the race in April.

There has been no race around Melbourne’s Albert Park circuit over the last two F1 seasons due to the impact of the pandemic. The 2020 event was called off on Friday morning after McLaren team members tested positive for Covid-19 during the initial spread of the virus. The Australian Grand Prix was intended to take place in 2021, but was delayed multiple times before being cancelled.

Speaking to Speedcafe, the Australian Grand Prix Corporation’s Andrew Westacott said that the government of Victoria had assured them the race would go ahead on April 10th.

“We’ve got a commitment from the Victorian Government, that the event’s going ahead,” said Westacott. “We’ve got a commitment from Formula 1 that they’re coming here for round three. We’re selling tickets like hot cakes, and we’re 80 days away from the event. So everything is happening, everything is getting ready, and (I) can’t wait to host the best drivers in the world, in new cars, on a new track.”

Melbourne’s Albert Park circuit is due to host the third race of the season on a heavily revised layout. The Formula 1 season begins in Bahrain on March 20th.

Kanaan keen to run 25th Indy 500 in 2023

Tony Kanaan, Ganassi, IndyCar, Indianapolis Motor Speedway, 2021 The 2013 Indy 500 winner took 10th place last year

IndyCar driver Tony Kanaan says he hopes he will get the opportunity to run the Indy 500 for the 25th time in his career next year.

Chip Ganassi recently confirmed that the 47-year-old would race for them in May’s 106th edition of the race – the only IndyCar event he will compete in this season.

Kanaan, who won the race back in 2013, said he was able and willing to race in next year’s running of the famous race, which will mark his 25th year in the series.

“Do I have any things lined up for next year? No. Do I still want to do it? One hundred percent. Do I still think I can do it? One hundred percent,” said Kanaan.

“Look at what happened to Helio [Castroneves]. I mean, my question will be, what about if we go win number two? Are we coming back or not? So I’m not announcing anything because I actually don’t know. I can tell you my intentions are not [for this] to be the last one. Next year will be my 25th year in IndyCar, and I think it would be pretty cool if I could do that.”

AJ Foyt holds the record for most Indy 500 starts, having taken part in the race 35 time, in every year from 1958 to 1992.

Smolyar moves to MP for third year in F3

After two years at ART, Alexander Smolyar has moved to MP for a third season in the FIA Formula 3 championship. The 20-year-old placed sixth in the category last year, winning two partial-reverse-grid races including the season-opener at Circuit de Catalunya. MP are yet to announce who his two team mates will be.

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and

Social media

Notable posts from Twitter, Instagram and more:

  • Find more official F1 accounts to follow in the F1 Twitter Directory

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and

Happy birthday!

Happy birthday to Oukilf1, Bruno and Ehsansatti!