breaking news

BREAKING NEWS

today is Jan 23, 2022

Juan Pablo Montoya will return to drive for McLaren SP in the Indianapolis 500 again this year, the team has confirmed.

The 46-year-old, who won the race for Penske in 2000 and 2015, will rejoin McLaren SP’s regular drivers Pato O’Ward and Felix Rosenqvist. As last year, Montoya will also participate in the Indianapolis Grand Prix on the road circuit within the famous oval, which will take place two weeks before the Indy 500.

Montoya finished ninth in last year’s 500, five places behind O’Ward, after qualifying 24th. “I had a great experience with the team last year and look forward to building on the progress we made in 2021,” he said. “I think we have a real shot at competing at the front of the field and challenging for the win.”

O’Ward took the chequered flag less than a second behind winner Helio Castroneves in 2021.

McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown described Montoya, who will make his seventh appearance at the event in May, as “an institution in motorsport with two Indianapolis 500 victories and an impressive Formula 1 career with multiple wins for McLaren.”

“He adds experience that really benefits our team, giving us another driver with the potential to win anytime he steps into the car,” said Brown.

McLaren SP plans to expand to a third IndyCar entry full-time from the 2023 season.

Don't miss anything new from RaceFans

Follow RaceFans on social media:

  • Join RaceFans on Facebook
  • Follow RaceFans on Twitter
  • Get daily email updates from RaceFans

Advert | Become a RaceFans supporter and

IndyCar

  • Dallara extends deal to supply IndyCar chassis
  • Zanardi returns home from hospital over a year after handbike crash
  • Johnson commits to full IndyCar season including Indy 500 in 2022
  • Al Unser, four-times Indy 500 winner, dies at 82
  • Sato’s Coyne move confirmed as Karam and Ferrucci land Indy 500 seats

Browse all IndyCar articles